The Brush Washing Routine

Thursday, March 13, 2014



First of all, I really want to apologize for the bad quality of these photos ... I kind of feel terrible about posting them, but my camera has been acting up lately and I cannot seem to be able to get clearer ones. I can't really get a DSLR at this point, so I hope you'll bear with me?

Anyway, I thought I would do a long overdue post on my brush washing routine, or rather, lack of it. I have had my Real Tecniques brushes for about half a year now and I used them everyday. Guys. I've washed them twice.

I feel completely embarassed telling you this, because it's pretty much disgusting! So I've decided I need some itnernet scolding to help me get on track with washing my brushes. :) I want to do it every week with some spot cleaning in between to keep them in good condition. I was thinking about allocating a special brush washing day (it's gotta be Sunday, because I hate brush washing & I definitely don't want to start my week by doing it).

Why is this so hard for me, I wonder? I am just so grumpy when I have to wash them and get on everybody's nerves - and come on, it's really not that difficult. When I wash my brushes, I notice the change immediately - my makeup applies better, my skin breaks out less and they are way softer. So it really is high time for me to get better at it.

Just wanted to mention what I use for brush washing. It's this Johsnons Baby Shampoo which I got from my aunt - works like a charm! It really removes all the dirt from them - and by dirt I mean makeup, I don't go digging in the garden with my brushes, haha!

Do me a favor and leave me a comment telling me to just wash my brushes. And I would also love to know how often you clean yours and what you clean them with!


Share your opinion:

  1. Jaz jih umivam z rumenim Johnsonsom, včasih tudi s katerim drugim šamponom. Ravno se končno spravljam očistit te čopiče, traja to že kak teden in je res skrajni čas :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jaz grem kar zdle svoje umit, jih že predolgo nisem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WASH YOUR BRUSHES! ;)
    Tud sama uporabljam ta rumen Johnsons in imam nedelje rezervirane za čiščenje čopičev, ampak so te nedelje bolj redke. Se morem tud js poboljšat :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wash your brushes! :D
    js sm tud tuk slaba, kar se tiče pranja čopičov, groza. drgač jih pa kr z milom za roke umijem :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A to s trdim al tekočim? Js sm tut včasih, sam mamo en grozen gel za roke od Hoferja, tko da mam zdej tega. :3 x

      Delete
    2. s tekočim drugače. mamo nezga od loccitana in je čis kul :)

      Delete
  5. Hehe..mislim, da nobenemu ni to najljubše opravilo:) Jaz se vsekakor potrudim, da jih očistim vsaj enkrat tedensko. Sploh za senčila mi gre na živce ko so umazani čopiči z eno barvo in jih včasih še kar isti večer operem. Lažje je tudi če sproti pereš tiste čopiče, ki so res umazani, kot pa ob koncu tedna 40 komadov:) Jaz sem prav tako uporabljala Johnsons ampak sem se odločila, da je pač predrag za pranje čopičev. Zdaj uporabljam neko Muller znamko čamponov, mislim da je enih 80 centov en šampon - it works like a charm:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joj, si pridna! :) Moram se tut jaz poboljšat - sicer imam ful malo čopičev, tako da niti ni toliko dela. Me pa ful moti, da se tako počasi sušijo - včasih jih zvečer operem, se moram zjutri namazat, in so še mokri! x

      Delete
  6. It feels like a complete chore but think of it like part of the skincare - maybe put a face mask on when you're doing it so it has some other benefits? :) I'm using Dr Bronner's to clean my brushes and it is amazing. But I know that many many people using the shampoo you've mentioned too. :) X

    Mademoiselle-Lala.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah what a good tip! Thank you so much lovely, I will try to include it in my routine. Dr Bronner sounds lovely as well x

      Delete
  7. Washing brushes is the worst! I have to do mine today :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you did it, otherwise I'll send out the brush washing police! They're always round my place anyway. :P x

      Delete
  8. Don't worry, I am also guilty of neglecting my brush washing duties! I have recently started to take them into the shower with me though, and wash them whilst I have a hair mask on so it seems like I am multi-tasking!
    I haven't tried using baby shampoo to clean my brushes before though - great idea!

    joy&

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use a delightful pink egg shaped makeup sponge & I dont think I have EVER washed it until recently. i use it to apply foundations of all kinds & tinted moisturizers.
    My face brush was the worst!! Used for bronzer, an allover the face highlighter type powder, foundation powder, a blush, even once eye shadow!
    When I began buying a few new brushes for myself I allocated my "all in one" for just highlighter, got a new brush(es) for bronzer, foundation (wet and dry brushes), and blush. Next is a few eye shadow brushes and a lip brush. I buy "ELF" brand 1$ (USD) a brush! Ok, they are not special bristles or whatever, but they are good and do the job.
    When I washed my "everything" brush I CRINGED it was a rainbow going down the sink!
    The ping egg shaped sponge was just foundation, but now its clean and fresh :)
    I dont wear makeup daily so my washout is 2x a month, maybe 1x. Depends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that does sound like it needed a wash, haha! :) ELF is great, yeah, though I haven't tried their blushers just yet. I actually find looking at that 'sink rainbow' quite satisfying, haha. :P I wish I didn't have to wear makeup, but my skin is so horrible! :( x

      Delete
  10. I'm bad at washing my brushes, I do it on a Sunday actually - must be a good day for brush washing. I use baby shampoo most of the time too, they dry so quickly x

    Amy / srslylou

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment - I try to reply to everyone!