A Random Girl's Best Of 2020: Books, Netflix and Music

Wednesday, December 9, 2020



 

I love all kinds of media and like probably everyone else this year, I, too, have binged Netflix hard. I've got some recommendations on my favorites of this year below. I would love to know what you enjoyed this year in the comments below!


Netflix


Breaking Bad


This year, my boyfriend forced me to watch this show. I'd been dreading it for years. But then we started. And from the first episode I was totally hooked! We watched the whole show over a couple of months and I cried A LOT while watching it. Embarrasingly-a-lot, to be exact. Boyfriend wants to carry on with Saul but I'm being a brat. Maybe next year.

Brooklyn Nine Nine


Andy Samberg is my favorite! OMG this show is so good. If you miss sitcoms like Friends, Parks and Rec and The Office, you're gonna love this cop show. It's short, funny, not insensitive, and really adorable. I love it.

Drag Race


I didn't get it at first. 14 US seasons, 1 UK season (several watched twice, some three or four times...) later and I'm a convert. I fucking LOVE this show. My favorite contestants? I'm so glad you asked. I LOVE: Sasha Velour, Violet Tchatchki, Gigi Gorgeous (#robbed), Brooklyn Hytes, Trinity, Shea and Pearl! I hope there's a new season soon PLEASE!

Emily in Paris


I watched this in 3 days. Then I watched it again. And then I made the boyfriend watch it with me and even he's not complaining about it that much so THERE. It's cute. Like Gossip Girl for adults. In Paris instead of New York. And with more di...

Books


The Tokyo Bicycle Bakery


I picked this up randomly and fell in love. Magical realism that's so gentle and bittersweet you can almost taste the moment before it's gone. It has yummy descriptions of food, a beautiiiiiiful story, and it made me cry. Buy it. Read it. Love it. P.S. If you were crazy about that Johny Depp flick Chocolat back in the day YOU WILL LOVE THIS.

We Are Okay


OMG listen why do all these books make me cry? It deals with grief and it hits hard. But it's beautiful and important. It helped me come to terms with things I've held back for years. I loved it and cannot wait to pick up more of Nina LaCour's books.

Little Deaths


I know my friend Nina didn't enjoy this one so much (YES I stalked you on Goodreads. Whatchu gonna do about it?) but I loved it... It was dark, super atmospheric (hot NYC summer, oppressive, grungy, thick with cigar smoke) and kept me guessing. I'm so excited for this author to write more.

Music


Like everyone and their dog, I got my Spotify round-up and shared it in an embarrassingly high amount of places given that nobody cares. Anyway, I don't know why I was so insistent on posting everywhere because it's shameful AF. My #1 genre is Pop. I shouldn't be surprised because Britney is queen #FreeBritney #LeaveBritneyAlone #OtherTrendingBritneyHashtags But if you're looking for some good new music, I recommend Sleepy Fish (lo fi) as well as Qveen Herby who was my obsession for the year.

That's the media that's shaped my year! What have you been enjoying music, Netflix and reading-wise? Tell me in the comments!


Share your opinion:

Thanks so much for leaving a comment - I try to reply to everyone!