Real Techniques Expert Face Brush VS Buffing Brush

Friday, July 11, 2014




 I've been meaning to write a comparision post on these two Real Techniques brushes for ages, but somehow never got around to doing it. Today, I found these photos which I took weeks ago, and am finally getting around to talking about the Expert Face Brush and the Buffing Brush from the brand. I thought I'd do a comparision for all those interested, because I wasn't sure whether I needed both and how they compare. I hope this post is helpful!

Let's start with the Buffing Brush (Slovenia, International), which I had first. I got this last year for my birthday in the Core Collection and so I've been using it for almost a year. My thoughts? It was absolutely my favourite brush from the collection, I love it. Ever since I first applied my foundation with this brush, there was no going back for me - I used it every day. It's incredibly soft and applies makeup beautifully (I use a mixture of buffing and stippling). You can use it for pretty much any face product - for me, it works with liquid foundation, pressed powder, bronzer and blusher. Haven't tried it with a mineral foundation, because I don't think it's dense enough. The only problem I have is the fact that the hairs tend to get very tangled up - like a knot. It may be because I don't wash them as much as I should, or because I use the brush every day. I might have to get a replacement soon. I also just realized you can only get this brush in the Core Collection, which is a real shame as I don't like the rest of the brushes from the set nearly as much. The kit costs around 25€.

Next, the Expert Face Brush (Slovenia, International). This is a relatively new addition, but it has taken me by storm. A much more dense brush, shorter as well and more appropriate for buffing. Again, it can be used for any face product, I find it works the best with liquid foundation, but also really great for pressed powder, blusher, bronzer ... Might even work with mineral makeup if you don't own a kabuki. No tangles in this one yet, but it does get dirty very fast, which is logical albeit slightly annoying for someone as lazy as I am. Price is around 10€.

How do the two compare? Since I have both, I use the EFB for liquid foundation, and apply pressed poder with BB. I find it gives me a really nice finish. Both are brushes I love, and I would love to have more than one of them, because they're basically all I need, face-wise. I would say you can make use of both if you use a few face products, they are very versatile. But if you insist on only getting one, I would say to pick the Expert Face Brush, because it's better value as you can buy it by itself, and it's better at applying liquid foundation, which I think most of us use!

What is your favourite makeup brush?

Share your opinion:

  1. I've only tried the expert face brush but I love it so much! I also really want to try the buffing brush but I don't want to buy the whole collection :( xxx

    Verity | Life of Verity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, it's such a shame you cannot buy it separately! :(

      Delete
  2. I desperately want the buffing brush but it's so inconvenient to buy the whole collection. I have the expert face brush but I find it hard to use for liquid foundations, I'm not sure why.. I should really start to get used to using it more!

    Angela | The Sunday Chapter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - it's a huge shame that you can't buy it by itself ...

      Delete
  3. Really great post.
    I LOVE my buffing brush and use it with my liquid foundation every day, washing it every couple of weeks or spot-cleaning it in between if I remember too! I've never had a problem with the hairs getting tangled though..! I wish they would bring out the buffing brush on its own, but if I ever have to repurchase it I will try the expert face brush instead as they do look very similar and I would only use it for liquid foundation, although I do like being able to do both stippling and buffing with my buffing brush...decisions decisions!
    Nicola x (@itsneecola)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nicola! I really need to wash it more, haha.

      Delete
  4. I love the density of the expert face brush so much! It's the perfect amount to make buffing in super quick and easy, I never find myself spending ages getting rid of streaks in my foundation like with some other brushes.

    nueyork.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, it's just dense enough - more than the buffing brush and less than a kabuki!

      Delete
  5. thanks for the review, I do like all real techniques brushes

    ReplyDelete
  6. They sell buffing brush seperately where I live so I've been debating which one to buy. Very helpful post, thank you!

    Evelin Kivi blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and lucky you! I can only get it in a set ...

      Delete
  7. I use the buffing brush every single day to apply my liquid foundation. I've never had the bristles knot up though ... it's probably because you don't wash it often enough. I like to wash mine once every three or four days. I haven't tried the Expert Face Brush yet, but everyone (including you!) has raved about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your advice! Have to admit it's a little bit embarassing that others have to remind me to wash the brushes, good lord! :D

      Delete
  8. I love both of these, I switch them up throughout the week to apply my bases :) x

    Evelyn @ We Were Raised By Wolves

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a great post, I've always been curious about the difference between these two! x

    http://ninegrandstudent.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sem dobila Buffing Brush v Sam's Picks setu. Moram povedati, da sem danes prvič uporabila in sem menila, da bo čopič bolj mehek. Bomo videli kako mi bo všeč čez čas:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Uf, kakšna škoda - meni je res super ... Upam, da ti bo čez čas bolj všeč :)

      Delete
  11. I love both of these brushes but I mainly use the Expert Face Brush for cream blush. It blends so well!

    Nikki x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, need to try that, thanks for the tip Nikki!

      Delete
  12. A great comparison, I have the EFB and was wondering if I was missing out! Love RT, especially because synthetic bristles = cruelty free! <3
    Blushing Biddies

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bear minerals put out a new liquid foundation recently. With this new foundation came a fancy new applicator. It looks like a normal brush but the center of the brush is indented like a "cup" so thats what holds the liquid foundation. It's quite unique looking. A lot of women are saying that not only is the foundation fabulous, but the brush to apply it is better than anything they have ever tried. I do not know yet because I've yet to try it. Month I am going to the bare minerals store and I'm going to get the foundation and the brush and tried out for myself. I am looking for a good light weight foundation.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am yet to try the BB brush as I just got it today along with the core collection, I love the EFB to pieces because of its density and gives me flawless application! I have their powder brush too so I'm wondering how else I can use the BB brush, probably as a spare when my EFB is dirty. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment - I try to reply to everyone!