A damn good read

Tuesday, February 4, 2014


Since I haven't posted about books for a while ... well, for a few days, I thought I'd share two of my recent reads with you. I'm pretty sure all of us have heard about Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn, which exploded in popularity and is also being made into a Hollywood movie starring Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike. I'm looking forward to the movie, but I enjoyed the book so much I'm really interested to see if it can measure up.

Gone Girl is the first book I read by Gillian Flynn, but is actually her latest work. Basically, it's about a man whose wife disappears and he struggles to find her. His chapters intertwine with those of his wife and slowly, we come to know the whole story. Gone Girl is amazing - surprising at every page, bursting with suspense, mystery and strange, strange things. It left me hungry for more and that's when I decided to pick up Sharp Objects, which was recommended by my aunt and also Chapter Stackss, Katie, on Youtube (check out her channel here.)

Sharp Objects is Flynn's first novel and for me, it's the one that really shines (though I have yet to read Dark Places). It's just asdfghkjl amazing. If you like seriously effed up characters, painful reality and twisted relationships, look no further. It's about a woman who returns to her hometown to research the disappearings of two little girls. I was so into this book I read it in mere hours, just absolutely amazing - storytelling at its best.

I would just like to warn you that these books are most definitely not PG13 and I would recommend them to readers who don't mind (or even better, like) strange writing, twisted characters and just weird things.

I deliberately kept my reviews brief, but please let me know if you end up reading these. I would love to know your thoughts! :)


Share your opinion:

  1. Gone girl je res dobra knjiga, ampak filmi posneti po knjigi me potem ponavadi razočarajo. Bomo videli :) Druge pa nisem prebrala, ampak sliši se zanimivo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mene tudi, bom pa za foro vseeno pogledala. :) Sharp Objects je podobna, ampak obenem zelo drugačna knjiga. Mislm zdej nisem nč povedala. Ampak ja, I love it. :P x

      Delete
  2. I am definitely going to read Sharp Objects now... I loved Gone Girl! You know they're making a movie based on Gone Girl... I really hope they do it justice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You really should, it's my favourite book of all time! And I agree about the movie x

      Delete
  3. I also loved Gone Girl I was hooked although did not love the ending....im intrigued how the film wil turn out! The story line for sharp objects sounds interesting also.
    Hanh x hanhabelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I don't like Affleck but he is perfect for the role I think, as is Rosamund! :) x

      Delete
  4. Hm, očitno bo v kratkem potreben sprehod do knjigarne, tale Sharp Objects deluje zelo zanimivo — anything messed up will do really. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will love it! Majo jo v Mladinski btw. :) x

      Delete
  5. If you like mysteries you might like Cuckoos Calling, I'm currently reading it, its about a famous model who died and they're trying to find out if it was suicide or murder. It's good, but slow going and really long. However by the sounds of these books you will probably enjoy it. I'm going to give Gone Girl ago after this :) Emma x

    www.californiadreamingx.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love me some Ben, ALWAYS. :D Mam še ene sto strani 'The Black Country' za prebrat, pol pa začnem Gone Girl. :) Evo naslov, ko sem zadnjič pozabila. :D xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have just bought Gone Girl so ready to see what this hype is all about!! ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Zveni (pre)zanimivo... Zakaj sem sploh šla gledat na Book Depository in zakaj sta tok poceni? :P

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love a novels that have strange writing with twisted plots / characters along the way! Shall have to look into picking these books up after I've got through my current book list.

    Abbie x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gone Girl je bila tudi meni všeč (no, druga polovica knjige), ampak nad koncem sem bila pa čisto razočarana. Me pa zdaj zanima kakšna je Sharp Objects. Mogoče se je pa celo lotim, ko bom imela 5 minut časa. :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooh I'm not really a book reader but Gone Girl sounds really interesting, I might have to pick it up for my holiday in May :)
    xxx Claire
    http://wwwclairabelle.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment - I try to reply to everyone!