January Book Haul

Thursday, January 30, 2014



Well January was book shopping month, as you can clearly see! One month I'll go crazy buying skincare, then fashion pieces, but this month, I spend major money on new reads. Also included a beautiful Christmas present Tilen and I got which is the book at the bottom, a Slovenian cookbook by Sister Vendelina. Love it!

Right now I'm reading Dash and Lily's Book of Dares and I am completely surprised by this book! I thought it would just be a fluffy, cheesy winter read, but the characters are so different and written very well, so I'm excited to finish it tonigh. Yesterday I read Cold Spell by Jackson Pearce, and this is from the Fairytale Re-tellings series which I adore, but I actually disliked this book so much. It was really disappointing. I also feel like I'm getting too old for YA (gasp! shock! horror!) because I just cannot get into it anymore, I just feel like it's a bit dumbed down. So upsetting, but maybe I am growing up?

Another highlight is the final Gillian Flynn novel I have to read, Dark Places. I read both Sharp Objects and Gone Girl and I absolutely adored them both. If you'd like to see a joint review of all three books I would gladly do one, so please let me know.

My guilty pleausures of the month where How to fall in love by Cecelia Ahern and Softly Grew The Poppies by Audrey Howard. The latter is my favourite historical romance writer, I absolutely adore her books and cannot wait to start reading this one, which is her newest. Miss Ahern, on the other hand, completely surprised me with both The Book of Tomorrow and One Hundred Names, which I adored. I saw P.S. I Love You, and I'm sorry, but I strongly dislike that movie, it's soooo cheesy. But I love her as an author.

A new find is Where'd you go Bernadette by Maria Semple and this book is so raved about, I just had to get it! Everyone seems to have read it and I even heard it's like Gone Girl for the teenage girl, which amuses me to no end.

A book I finally got is The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern - after sitting on my wishlist for years, I finally got this book which is apparently about magic and the circus. What's not to love?

And finally, I got the rest of The Chemical Garden series, since I already have the first novel. I do like me a bit of dystopian, so I will surely enjoy this series (here's hoping, at least).

This haul was a mish mash of all kinds of books and genres, because I do like to have some variety to my reading. Hope you enjoyed, and please let me know if you would like to see any reviews.

Do you have any book recommendations for me?

Share your opinion:

  1. Great haul! I have yet to start Chemical Garden series but people love them so I look forward to these. Same goes for Levithan's and Flynn's books. Pearce is highly praised as well. SO MANY BOOKS!
    Also, love the new look ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently bought a whole bunch of books but if I see any of these I'll definitely check them out :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. I love you ti ni bil kul? :D men je bla pa knjiga ful ušeč, no pa film tud, zarad igralca :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Samo film sem gledala in ja, Gerard Butler je itak hawt, samo Hilary Swank mi ni všeč, pa grozno cheesy in čist preveč žalosten je bil zame. :( x

      Delete
  4. I got and really liked Dash & Lily too <3

    Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo končno še nekdo, ki ne mara P.S. I love you :D Film je beden, knjiga pa še bolj. Za zaspat zraven :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha :D Sam sva lahko odkrite za sekundo? Gerard Butler je vseen hot as hell. :P x

      Delete
    2. Čist čist odkrito - o ja! :D

      Delete
  6. If you haven't read The Fault in Our Stars, I would consider it! There will be a movie coming out this year :) The Night Circus is on my TBR as well as Where'd You Go, Bernadette!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Read it, loved it, hate the trailer though. :( I love John Green! <3

      Delete
  7. I would recommend "The Ocean at the End of the Lane" by Neil Gaiman. The story is beautiful and it leaves you with a sense of nostalgia. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness you won't regret the Night Circus!! One of my most favourite books of last year :) I'd love to read 'Where'd you go Bernadette' and get into Gillian Flynn - can't believe I still haven't read any of her books! Fail! T xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE the night circus - one of my faves =)
    Ani x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving a comment - I try to reply to everyone!